Saturday, August 19, 2006

Tough times ahead for the Wahoos

Greetings from Charlottesville, Virginia. I stopped by Central Virginia this morning on my way to our nation’s capital where I will be attending the thirtieth birthday bash of a friend of mine from UVA. I will be having lunch later today at the Boar’s Head Inn with another friend of mine from my undergrad years whom I have not seen in almost eight years.

 

These are tough times for students, alumni, and other supporters of the University of Virginia.  Earlier this week, U.S. News & World Report came out with its annual rankings of America’s top college and UVA’s rankings fell to 24th among top national universities. While we are still the number two public university in the national (behind Berkeley), number 24 overall is the lowest we’ve been in the years since I have been a Wahoo. During my first year, UVA jumped from number 21 to number 18 and during my last year, UVA was still the number 1 public university in the country.

 

And we are not doing all that well in other areas. After arriving in Charlottesville five years ago to much fanfare, Al Groh has failed to light new fire into our football program. In September, I will get to see Virginia play in person for the first time in two years as the Cavaliers go to Durham to play against Duke. Never in my life did I think Virginia would be chosen to play at Duke’s homecoming.


Tags:

No comments: