Saturday, April 29, 2006

On efficient allocation of capital

One of the things we learn in finance is the efficient allocation of capital, in other words, how to allocate your money wisely. There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to use your money to generate a higher return than your opportunity cost or cost of capital. Or, to put it more succinctly, get the most return for your buck.

 

Let me give you an example of how I efficiently allocated my money last night.

 

Cover charge to get into the Martini Bar to celebrate two classmates’ birthdays: $3 Oh wait … scratch that … I showed up before they started charging the cover.

 

Alcohol (plus tips): $16.50.

 

Striking a random conversation with an undergrad and finding out what night the nursing students hang out at the bar: Priceless

 

Seeing that cute BSBA (Kenan-Flagler undergrad program) I have been noticing at McColl, introducing myself to her, and the getting to dance with her and her roommate: beyond priceless.

 

Note: this is not the undergrad cutie in my investment banking class that I blogged about earlier.

No comments: