Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My “single highest mark of achievement”

Last Tuesday I received a letter in the mail from an organization called Cambridge Who’s Who. I was “being considered for inclusion into the 2007/2008 Cambridge Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals.”  It goes on to tell me that it was the I was to be included on the list of “our country’s most accomplished professionals” and that “inclusion is considered by many as the single highest mark of achievement.”

 

This letter reminds me of the one I got in high school telling me I was nominated for Who’s Who Among America’s High School Students. That “high honor” did absolutely nothing for me except giving me the opportunity to pay for a directory that included my name and a one-line blurp listing my extracurricular activities.

 

I did a blog search on Cambridge Who’s Who and found several entries that confirmed my suspicions about the organization. What was that quote by Groucho Marx about certain types of organizations that he always refuses to join?

No comments: