Friday, August 24, 2007

“She told me her name was Billie Jean as she caused a scene”



I had an interesting evening just now. It started at a UNC alumni reception (I am on the mailing lists of both UVA and UNC alumni clubs and last night both clubs had conflicting events) at the Rams Room of the Kenan Stadium. I got the chance to hearbasketball coach Roy Williams talk about his hopes for the next season. Afterwards, I went home and was content with spending the rest of the night doing some extra curricular reading.


But that was not to be. I got a call from a classmate who was a year ahead of me at Kenan-Flagler announcing that several people were in town for a wedding and we all ended up meeting on Franklin Street for a mini-homecoming. We cruised through several bars from one end of Franklin Street to another before ending the night at Lucy’s. After paying the cover, I planned on getting a glass of water and staying long enough to sober up before driving home. But once again, that was not to be.


We all got onto the dance floor where it was 80s night and the place was packed with students, some of whom I recognize as current second years at Kenan-Flagler. For a moment, I felt like a first year all over again dancing and singing along to tunes such as Jesse’s Girl, Don’t Stop Believing, and Living On A Prayer (the latter two were played back to back). It made me realize just how much I miss the Thursday night Lucy’s scene and how much I would give to relive my experience, at least that part of the MBA experience, all over again.

No comments: