Saturday, September 22, 2007

A reminder that greed is still good



Tuesday’s Wall Street Journal had a full page ad on page D5 promoting the 20th anniversary DVD edition of the movie Wall Street. I first saw this movie in college but it didn’t have much of an impact on me. It wasn’t until after I graduated from UVA that I watched it on more occasions and it has since become one of my favorite movies. Although I disagree with producer Oliver Stone’s liberal portrayal of capitalism (ie Gordon Gecko telling Bud Fox that capitalismis a “zero sum game”), I love the movie for the lessons it teaches about life and often (here, here, and here) quote from it on this blog.


I went out to Best Buy earlier today and not only bought the DVD but also the special engraved business card holder ($15 and $5 respectively, the latter is free with the purchase of the former). Next week I will try to buy a couple more business card holders because they make great graduation gifts.


Earlier this year I heard that Michael Douglas is working on the script of a sequel. Twenty years later, it’s good to know that the profit motive still continues to motivate people to do good things – proofing once again that his character got it right when he said that "greed is good."

No comments: