Thursday, May 25, 2006

“Deal or No Deal?“

I don’t watch this game show much but I find its premise to be extremely interesting. Do you take the offer in front of you (bird in hand) or continue to play and hopefully receive a better one (two in the bush)? 

 

Last night I found myself in that dilemma when I received a summer internship offer. Yes, folks, I got an offer. It’s for a start up financial consulting firm located in the area.  While this is not the ideal internship, it’s something that will keep me busy during the summer and hopefully get me to where I want to be in the fall when the full time recruiting season begins.  It will also keep me in the area during the summer which is great because I can get to enjoy the area a bit more and plan some road trips on the side.

 

The manager wants me to start on Tuesday but I am going to make a counter offer (I wonder if they will ever change the premise of the game show to allow contestants to make a counter offer to the “deal”) and suggest I begin the following Monday. I am going to be honest and tell him I am waiting to hear back from several places and am also going to see if I can get more from this company in terms of compensation.

 

The most ironic part about this particular internship is that I heard about this position through having dinner with a classmate during the Thursday before leaving for India. We were at McColl together working on the integrative exercise and decided to have dinner on Franklin Street at a place called Basil Spices. Over a bowl of Vietnamese pho noodles, he mentioned that this particular firm is interested in having interns from Kenan-Flagler. So much for me complaining about the integrative exercise cutting into my internship search.

No comments: