Wednesday, May 31, 2006

“Honey, I am home!”

After eleven and one half months of not working I rejoined the work force this morning when I showed up at my internship. I met my boss, found my desk, attended the HR briefing, received my email address and network login, chose a password that contained a number, a non-alpha-numeric key, and the correct combination of upper and lower case letters. The boss took me and another manager, a student in the part time Kenan-Flagler program, out to lunch. I sat through two client phone calls, one for which the client did not show up, and spent the remainder of the day training myself on the company and its products.

 

When I received the call from the hiring manager yesterday, I had to give him a beginning and an end date for the internship so that they could be included in the offer letter. The dates we agreed upon would give me nine and a half weeks at the internship and one week of vacation before the beginning of classes. Nine and a half weeks sounds a bit short, I was under the impression that an MBA internship should be at least ten weeks. But I have several classmates who either began their internships yesterday or don’t begin until this coming week.

 

I am keenly aware that as a student, I am entitled to certain legal protections that are not afforded to an employee and I therefore will be extremely careful about what I blog about regarding the company. I will only say that it seems like a great place to work and a lot of my co-workers and fun and young, which is not a bad place to be especially compared to where I was one week ago.

No comments: