Saturday, June 3, 2006

Summer social scene

Summertime in Chapel Hill is a lot different than during the school year.  In the two weeks since I have returned, I noticed that while many of the regular students are gone, there were other folks who have started to move into town. Some of these are students getting ready to start their studies while others are here only for a brief time this summer.

 

I was at the Martini Bar last week and met a group of interns for University Directories. University Directories is a summer program that hires college students from around the country to sell advertising on affiliated publications. The internship began with two weeks of training at McColl before the interns are dispatched to their respective geographical districts. In my apartment complex, I have noticed a lot of new faces that have moved in within the past month. Someone who is now living downstairs from me will begin ASW I (summer workshop) at Kenan-Flagler on Monday. There is also someone else I met who started her masters in education program this past week.

 

When I returned to Martini Bar last night, I was shocked to see the place empty. I ended up going to Top Of the Hill where I hung out with a group of students in the executive MBA program, two of whom were on the India trip. There was a cute girl there who just moved into town to start her residency. Apparently some students from the executive MBA program went to China for the Global Immersion Experience and during a five hour layover at the Chicago airport, they met her parents at a bar. The parents jot down a couple of names and email addresses so that their daughter could have some people to hang out with once she moves into the area.

No comments: