Wednesday, July 5, 2006

One year mark and does anyone remember who Laura Palmer is

A year ago tomorrow I drove to North Carolina and began the ASW II summer session at Kenan-Flagler. Earlier tonight I went to the welcome happy hour at La Rez to meet up with this year’s ASW II participants, many of whom have only arrived in town within the past couple of days.

We left La Rez to go to Spany’s for dinner and conversation. Somewhere along the way I mentioned the television show Dallas and a student asked if any of us could remember who killed Laura Palmer. I correctly gave the answer and went on to spend the next two minutes talking to him about the most memorable lines and scenes from the television show Twin Peaks.

One thing I noticed almost immediately about the students tonight is that there has been a substantial improvement in the women to guy ratio compared to their Class of 2007 counterparts. I talked to one cute girl who lives in my apartment complex. She remembered that I had wished her a happy Fourth of July as I walked by her yesterday on my way to the trash dump. There was someone else whom I recognized but never got the chance to talk to. I met him at the MBA Experience Weekend in 2005. Yes, I said 2005. He paid his deposits that but ended up not enrolling. Since it is Kenan-Flagler's policy to not offer deferrals, he must have applied a second time before deciding to come here. Someone should put a picture of him in the Visa television commercial that ends with the caption "Life Takes Determination."

And in case any of you cares, Laura Palmer was killed by a demon name Bob who had possessed her father.

No comments: