Thursday, November 9, 2006

Theology and dogma while you eat



One of the things I really like about UNC is how the main campus comes to life on a nice day like today. I really think Kenan-Flagler got screwed when it decided to move out of Carroll Hall and the powers that be decided to build the new facilities on south campus by the Dean Dome instead of on the more centrally located location near the Bell Tower.

Since I have no classes today, I woke up, packed up a day’s worth of reading, and took the bus to main campus where I took a position (now why did I just say that, “took a position” as though I am Bud Fox buying up blocks of stocks for Gordon Gekko?) at the House Undergraduate Library.


On my way to Lenoir for lunch earlier I walked by the Pit where I saw a preacher debating with a group of students who were sitting and standing in front of him. After I got my lunch, I returned to the Pit and sat on the steps to listen to this guy while I digested my shrimp lo mein and two cans of Coke. The main theme of the day is science and there was a lot of back and forth between him and the students on topics such as creationism versus evolution, how God created the universe in seven days, the big bang, etc. When I was at UVA, we would get a couple of these preachers every semester who would show up and start talking at the amphitheater while waiting for an audience to gather. I used to really enjoy hearing those guys before I became a Christian. While I recognize that some of them purposely come across as sensational, “over the top,” and even hateful, I think their work for the most part is virtuous for it gets students thinking about topics they otherwise would not think about. I am not sure where these preachers come from, whether they are from a local church, out of town, or how they decide what campus to go to, but I am certainly glad this guy came to UNC today .

No comments: