Saturday, September 10, 2005

The paradox of time

A classmate made the observation earlier this week that this past Wednesday was the halfway point in Mod I, that we are more than halfway through the first quarter of our first year in the MBA program. It's amazing to see how these past four weeks have flew by.

During the school application process, I attended an application seminar by Ross School of Business. There was an assistant director of admissions who talked about her own experience getting her MBA (she did not attend Ross). She described it as "the two years fly by but the nights are long."

This is exactly how the past four weeks have been. I would get an email about a club meeting or an event that takes place X number of days in the future. My first inclination is to hold off because of the Y number of deadlines that stand in the way between today and the next X number of days. Yet it is because of these Y number of deadlines that the next X number of days will fly by.

This is one of the very subtle things about time that you don't learn in time management courses. But you've just learned it here by being a faithful reader of "In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about algebra or time management?  It sounds like you've never had a busy schedule before.  I think you'll find that you just need to prioritze and accept the fact that there are some things you will be able to do, and some things that you won't be able to do.  If something isn't a priority, don't waste your time with it.  

I think something you can start with is to get rid of your aggressive timetable.  For instance, your evening routine normally begins at 3:30 PM.  What if you get an especially bad batch of Boston Clam Chowder at Panera for lunch and you find yourself on the toilet for 30 minutes then?  Will you then feel especially rushed and stressed if you begin your evening routine at 4:00 PM that day?  Don't sweat the small things - allow yourself extra cushions of time for the unexpected, and I think your schedule won't seem overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

How many classes are you taking?  I'm just confused about why you never have any free time.  If you leave the bars alone, you could free up a couple of hours.  As we spoke about before, try taking 2 classes and working full time.  Yes, my MBA education is being financed, BUT, free time has become more of a luxury. Ironically, I feel like I have more free time than you do...and 40+ hours of my week is spent at a place of business.  
RELAX!  You are gonna cause an unnecessary anxiety attack.  Did you ever take the Franklin Covey time management class at AOL?  

Anonymous said...

I am taking 5 classes. When I came in January for my school visit, the student who took me to class (a FY) told me most of the time spent in the MBA program is not with going to class (or even doing the classwork) but with doing extracurricular stuff such as clubs, activities, researching potential employers, and attending events held by companies.

One BIG problem that I have is I am not very focused during the time that I am working. I allow myself to get distracted with reading/writing blogs on the Internets, re-checking my email, etc. I need to get better at this.