Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Cutting class

Now that I have attended a session of each of the seven classes I am currently signed up for, I should be able to easily figure out which two I want to drop. Between negotiations, fixed income, and derivatives, I have to drop at least one, preferably two. Yet the decision is not as simple as it sounds. 

 

I am pretty certain I will be dropping negotiations this Mod. I am currently on the wait list for this class in Mod II and if I don’t get a spot, I can always sign up for it again in Mods III and IV. The only reason that would propel me to take it now is that the class requires a minimum of work outside of the classroom. Fixed income is a pretty useful class and the professor knows his material very well. He also taught the derivatives class until this year. Derivatives is now taught by a young professor who just came to Kenan-Flagler from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. I am not sure how I like the material, the class, or his teaching style. He spent the first thirty minutes today telling us “the rules” of the class including his promise to fail anyone who opens a laptop during lecture. There is a graded assignment due every week and he cold calls students at every session on the reading material. The only reason I would have to go through with the course is once he began teaching the material, I actually found it quite interesting. Both derivatives and fixed income are introductory classes that build up to an optional advanced class in Mod II.

 

The classes that I know for certain I want to take are pretty descent. The marketing class has only eight students in it. It used to be offered every spring but the school has decided to change the schedule to every fall. Since it was most recently offered earlier this year, many of my classmates have already taken it. I will be spending my Tuesday and Thursday mornings with two professors who are both quite entertaining, one’s name is Bushman while the other’s is Landsman. One began class today by hooking his Mac laptop to the classroom’s sound system and playing his favorite Beatles songs from his iTunes. The other one …I am going to refrain from saying anything about him for the time being except that he has certain habits that are quite eccentric. Hopefully I will be able to blog more about him later on in the Mod when I can better articulate his characteristics to my readers. The mergers and acquisition class is pretty much what I expected. The professor said she appreciates clsas participation because “sometimes I get bored of my own voice.” I am going to try to sit on the right side of the room so that if I ever get bored I can look straight ahead out the window (the seating in most classrooms are in a U shaped arrangement) where I can see the top of the UNC Hospital where the emergency helicopter takes off and lands several times an hour.

 

And speaking of seating arrangements, I think it goes without saying that I am going to sit as far away as I can from any classmate who uses a Dell laptop.

No comments: