Friday, January 26, 2007

Cover letter contest

We are going to have a little contest here today to test the level of literacy among my audience members. This past week I returned to writing and perfecting my cover letters. While going through some of my past letters, a friend of mine pointed out a mistake in the last paragraph.

 

The following is the last paragraph from the cover letter. The error was so subtle that I have not noticed it even though it’s been in my cover letters for almost an entire year. I am betting that most of you won’t catch it neither. So look it over, if you think you know what it is email me (you can email me at buckyhoo at aol dot com for those of you who don’t know me in real life). Also include whether I have permission to name you in the next posting if you get right (in the event you don’t mention I can mention your name, I won’t). 

 

Here it is:

 

“Working at AOL gave me the opportunity to learn about the unfolding changes in the media sector as customers began relying on the internet to perform their everyday routines. I came to business school to compliment my technical experience with the business skills necessary to play a bigger role in shaping the industry’s future. I got to apply these skills this summer at ABC Corporation where I authored a competitive analysis on the paid internet search industry by using my research and analytical skills to gather and digest large amounts of information. I consider your DEF position my top choice for employment opportunity because it will allow me to best use my skills and talents to advance the technologies that I am passionate about.”

 

As Gordon Gekko said to Bud Fox in the movie Wall Street, “get to work!” Since this is Friday, I doubt any of you are doing any real work anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, there's not one, but two grammatical errors.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put much stock in grammar2007's advice.  Their comment should read, "There are not one, but two grammatical errors."