Monday, January 22, 2007

Jam packed Monday

Today felt like the longest day. My alarm went off at 7:05 this morning and I managed to stall for an additional 15 minutes before I rolled out of bed. Mondays and Wednesdays are the roughest because my pricing class meets at 8am. My car left my apartment complex at 7:50, making me five minutes later than I had hoped. One problem that I have with 8am class is that the left turn onto the main road that leads to the university always clogs up starting at around 7:45 and today was no different. So instead of making the usual left turn, I went straight and proceeded to make an illegal (at least legally questionable) U-turn before making a right turn onto the main road. Another decision I made was instead of taking Fordham Boulevard (better know as 15-501) I took an alternate route that took me through the UNC main campus. This route takes a bit longer but is more scenic and does a great job at placing me in the mood of a full time student. By the time I drove into the Kenan-Flagler garage, I looked at the clock and felt pretty smart at having arrived earlier than I had expected. I thought it must have been the result of cheating that red light. That was until I saw that the SUV in front of me was the same one that I was following when I drove out of my apartment complex.

 

The pricing class was pretty interesting. So was decisions, data, and tools where the professor was putting SPSS on the projector and had trouble getting her laptop to show up on the projection screen. She asked for help and I offered my, ahem, expertise. Turns out her problem was she was hitting SHIFT + F7 instead of Fn + F7, which explains why nothing was happening. The next class was financing deals where I learned the only two credit cards accepted by Neiman Marcus are the American Express card and its own store brand credit card. Originally this class was supposed to meet at lunch where we would hear from a guest speaker from a large global conglomerate firm. But he was sent to Europe at the last minute and we ended up having class at the normal time of 11am, which workedout really well because there was a company presentation at lunch that I wanted to go to. The presentation was given by a firm that specializes in renting construction equipment and its chief financial officer came down to meet with students. Before it began I introduced myself to him and told him I recognized his picture from the annual report, which I read last night. He later said during the presentation that his son is a student in the MBA program. By the time 2pm class came along, I was completely drained and the entrepreneurial marketing class which followed was downright agonizing. The class is co-taught by two professors, the professor of record and an instructor who is a marketing consultant for a local company. Today was the first time the class was taught by the other instructor and I was bored out of my mind. Between her soft voice and the case we were discussing (it was about educational software, and was so boring I purposely chose to not write it up), I decided I had to seriously reconsider telling people that this is one of my favorite class.

 

After my last class, I would normally go to the gym to get my energy level up but because I was dressed up (for the company presentation) and did not bring my gym clothes, I went home instead. I took a two hour nap, woke up to have dinner, and wrote today’s blog entry. I know my day is not nearly as exciting as that of Jack Bauer’s but I figured since it was so drawn out and agonizing, I was going to make my blog posting drawn out and agonizing as well.

 

Speaking of Jack Bauer, what time is it?

No comments: