Monday, January 29, 2007

I am not that bad of a writer, am I?

My highest compliments to a Kenan-Flagler classmate of mine (who wishes to remain nameless) and to Dingproof for correctly spotting the error in the cover letter paragraph I posted on Friday.

 

“Working at AOL gave me the opportunity to learn about the unfolding changes in the media sector as customers began relying on the internet to perform their everyday routines. I came to business school to compliment my technical experience with the business skills necessary to play a bigger role in shaping the industry’s future. I got to apply these skills this summer at ABC Corporation where I authored a competitive analysis on the paid internet search industry by using my research and analytical skills to gather and digest large amounts of information. I consider your DEF position my top choice for employment opportunity because it will allow me to best use my skills and talents to advance the technologies that I am passionate about.”

 

com*pli*ment – an expression of praise, admiration, or congratulation.

 

com*ple*ment – something that completes, makes up a whole, or brings to perfection.

 

The two contestants above get an H (high pass) while everyone else gets a P (pass) for participating. While the three other contestants did not give me the answer I was looking for, they were helpful in pointing out some other parts of the paragraph that may be wrong or at the very least, can be improved. If I get around to it, I am going to show the career counselors at the Career Management Center this paragraph and see if they catch on to the error(s).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Complement vs. compliment is not a grammatical error; it's a spelling error.  The hanging preposition in the closing sentence is a grammatical error.

Anonymous said...

The split infinitive in the last sentence (to best use) is also a grammatical error.