Saturday, December 17, 2005

That was a hard one

Unfortunately I am not talking about the punchline to some dirty joke you may have heard in high school. I am talking about this morning’s operations final.

                         

Operations is the hardest class this Mod. Many alumni I meet remember it as one of the more challenging classes. To those of you who are not familiar with MBA classes, operations is a class that answers the question “how do you run a business as efficiently and profitably as you can?”  This means how to maximize the capacity of a restaurant and its subset operations (ie the bar, the waiting and dining rooms), the efficiency of a company’s supply chain, or the profits of the local newsvendor (also known as the classic newsvendor problem).

I like the class a lot but find the material to be next to impossible to understand. I heard someone say that last year’s final exam had a 40% average. We were given gave us last year’s exam to study from. I thought today’s exam was much harder. I noticed that it had a total of 180 points and since we had three hours to do the exam, that translates into an average of one minute per point. I am hoping that this exam’s outcome will be similar to that of last Mod’s analytical tools exam. I thought the test was impossible but ended up getting a score slightly above the mean because everybody else did just as poorly as I did.

No comments: