Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Keeping up with the Joneses while the real world catches up with me

Some of you know that I have a fascination with Mercedes and have always wanted to buy a used C or E Class from the late 90s. I saw one such vehicle on the internet last week. The used car dealership off of 15/501 had a 1999 E320 with only 67,000 miles on it and I decided to stop by just to see it in person. The car looks amazing with a red stripe going down each side of its deep blue body from the tail light all the way to the side mirror. As much as I liked the car, the thinking side of my brain still managed to convince me that even though I have enough assets to make an all cash acquisition (woooh … where did all this MBA business speak come from?), I shouldn’t be buying a car before getting a job.

 

The realities of the real world became more apparent yesterday when I received a letter from the U.S. Department of Education informing me that the loan I borrowed to fund the stellar UVA education I blogged about yesterday is about to become active again. Two years ago when I was getting ready to start business school the loan entered “deferment” and now that I am no longer a student (the national government is really quite efficient when it comes to getting information about law abiding citizens) I can expect to start receiving the monthly bill once again.

 

The thinking side of my brain is now telling me that if I could have bought that Mercedes with no debt, I can make that entire account payable to the U.S. Department of Education disappear. But I am going to tell him that I am in no more of a hurry to pay off that balance than I was last week in seriously negotiating a price on that Mercedes.

No comments: