Friday, June 1, 2007

Random act of kindness

I was at the Lineberger Cancer Research Center earlier today for a party for a friend of mine who has successfully completed his PhD dissertation. I was leaving the Dogwood Parking Deck (by the way, if anyone ever needs to park a car for an entire day, the rates at Dogwood are only $1 an hour compared to $1.25 at Ramshead) when the attendant at the booth held up a dollar bill in front of me and said “that woman in the car ahead of you told me to pay this for you and for you to have a happy weekend.”

 

What an incredibly nice thing for her to do! It reminds me of that Ford “Bold” commercial where the woman was picking up her laundry on a drive-through, spotted a guy in the car behind her, and paid for that guy’s laundry and left a note with her phone number on it. But unlike in the Ford commercial, the woman this afternoon did what she did with no expectations that any benefits would reap onto her (at least in a secular sense) by her act of kindness.

 

I really need to be more generous with people.

No comments: