Friday, June 29, 2007

An economic anomaly on Franklin Street



I blogged in May that one of my favorite fast food restaurants opening a location on West Franklin Street across from Panera Bread. The restaurant opened today and as a promotional event, gave out free food the entire day yesterday and on Wednesday. Anyone could choose to wait on line for thirty minutes and order anything on the menu for free.


As a big fan of Chipotle Mexican Grill, I was ecstatic when I heard about this event. But as someone trained in economics, I found the event to disturbing. The free market teaches that “there is no such thing as a free lunch.” And yet the huge big line I witnessed at the corner of Franklin and Mallette Streets told me otherwise.


The next time I go out to Franklin Street, I am going to be on the lookout for people selling one dollar bills for 99 cents.

No comments: