Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The checkered flag is in sight

This past weekend was a milestone of sorts for various reasons. Friday began my last month before graduation. We are now down to the last four weeks of my time as a full time student. These consist of two weeks of classes (including this week) followed by one week of exams and one week of nothingness followed by graduation weekend.

 

As far as my mental state of mind is concerned, my Mod IV (and my MBA career) is pretty much over and I am not the only one feeling this way. One of my favorite classmates has endearingly nicknamed this mod as “ASW 3.” (ASW is the summer workshop for incoming first years and there are two separate sessions, ASW 1 and ASW 2) and the nickname has caught on. I was telling a professor yesterday morning that it feels like there is a lot going on and at the same time it feels like nothing is going on. Part of me wants to do nothing but to set the auto pilot and coast for the next two weeks. Yet another part wants to make the most of every opportunity that these dwindling number of days are offering me – try to shoot for the H (high pass) in every remaining class, attend every business school and campus event, and sing like no one is listening.

 

I tried to do just that this past weekend. On Friday I attended the beginning of the Executive Alumni Seminar, an alumni event for Kenan-Flagler’s weeknight, weekend, and OneMBA programs. The following night I went to the Taste of Chapel Hill dinner we held as part of the MBA Experience Weekend and met many accepted applicants who are considering or have already decided to enroll in the MBA program. Both these events gave me a perspective by allowing me to contrast where I was two years ago when I was an accepted applicant attending that year’s MBA Experience Weekend and where I would like to be years from now when hopefully I am professionally successful and future students will be attempting to kiss my as … I mean network with me.

 

While we are on the topic of me singing like no one is listening, the annual Kenan-Flagler Follies will take place the night of the last day of class, April 27. Last Thursday I participated in taping part of a skit that hopefully will be included in this year's event and will earn me a place in the eternal Follies archives.  In the meantime, a preview of another skit has been released on the internet. Check it out.

No comments: