Monday, April 16, 2007

Massacre at Virginia Tech



I was leaving for lunch with a classmate and we were approaching my car when he saw my UVA license plate frame and asked if I had heard about the shooting at Virginia Tech this morning. We spent the drive to Franklin Street listening to the radio's simulcast of the Fox News Channel . My immediate reaction was Columbine and a shooting more than ten years ago at the University of Iowa where a Chinese physics graduate student was angry because of a dissertation review that didn’t go the way he wanted and he shot about six people in his department and most of the killings were premeditated. I thought about all the Virginia Tech students and those who have loved ones there who are, at this moment, uncertain as to whether they are okay.


During the drive back to McColl, I couldn’t help thinking that life on a college campus after today will probably never be the same. Just what is this world coming to when you cannot feel safe on a college campus.

No comments: