Friday, April 20, 2007

This week in pictures

I am sorry I have not blogged in three days. The senioritis that began to set in a few weeks ago is beginning to spread o other areas of my life as well. Since I don’t have the motivation to come up with anything profound, I am just going to tell you about some of the sights and sounds that I experienced in the past three days.


On Wednesday my bible study met at this guy’s house which is located on a farm outside of Chapel Hill. I have been out that way before because this is near where the financial accounting professor lives and he has invited students out to his place on several occasions. On the drive down Old Greensboro Road, I saw a white picket fence with the words “Go Rudy Giuliani 2008,” realized where I was, and immediately pulled over.




John Edwards, Chapel Hill’s full time media hound and part time presidential candidate, recently bought a stretch of land off of Old Greensboro and built the county’s largest house there. In a recent interview his wife Elizabeth mentioned her neighbor across the street with the Rudy Giuliani sign and described him as a “rapid Republican” who chased trespassers with a gun and kept his place “slummy.” I had recognized the sign and the property from a story on Inside Edition. I stopped the car, took some pictures without getting out, and saw a man walk out in front of the auto repair shop (from the Inside Edition story, I know that the owner rents part ofthe land to an auto repair shop) and stare at me. After taking my picture, I walked over to gentleman and talked to him a little bit. He said the sign has been vandalized and just the night before some people showed up with chainsaws. He pointed at the two trails across the street that go into the woods and said they both lead to the Edwards property. He said the marble stone that was guarding the entrance to the second trail was installed in the past week and had to have cost around $12,000. Looking around, I imagine that stone probably cost more than some of the vehicles that were being repaired on the lot. I thanked him for his time and drove away.




Earlier today I was at the Undergraduate Library working on my take home final exam for taxes in finance. I walked across the Pit for lunch and walked by a man who was painting something. Twenty minutes and some Chik-Fil-A waffle fries later, I was on my way back to the library and saw that the painter had gathered an audience. Turns out he was a preacher and was using his painting skills to convey his message. He was not nearly as entertaining as the Pit Preacher but the students seemed to take him more seriously. I wonder if the shooting at Virginia Tech on Monday has made students more receptive to hearing the Christian message.




Next week is my last week of classes and hopefully I will be more motivated to blog. I have to finish my taxes in finance take home final exam this weekend. If only I can do on the exam what I just did on this blog, insert a bunch of pictures, write long paragraphs, hit SUBMIT, and hope for a P (pass).

No comments: