Saturday, April 7, 2007

Resurrecting my Sundays

About two years after I graduated from college, I began doing something that I had long considered doing but never really put into practice. I began honoring the Sabbath by taking Sundays off. By that, I am not saying that I merely refrained from going to work on Sundays. I actually began to adhere to the commandment about honoring the Sabbath and “keeping it holy” by coming home from church and then refraining from doing anything for the rest of the day. This includes errands, household chores, and anything that was mentally or laboriously taxing.

 

I know this confounds a lot of you who do not share my religious beliefs and I admit that even among Christians, many don’t think much of the “honoring the Sabbath” commandment. But I think there are secular as well as religious benefits to this practice. During the time that I was doing this, I felt it strengthened my faith and helped me deal more effectively with my stress levels. I remember during the time when I was working, there were times when I heard coworkers complain that they felt more tired on the Monday than on the previous Friday. It’s clear that many people overextend themselves on the weekends and the results are evident during the workweek.

 

Unfortunately business school has gotten into the way of me continuing to make Sunday a day of rest. For the past twenty months, my Sundays have comprised of church, a quick lunch, followed by the rest of the day spent catching up on reading and assignments. Other than going to church in the morning, my Sunday s have begun to resemble every other day of the week. I very much would like toreturn to the habit of honoring my Sundays and with class work slowing down to a crawl and me getting ready to return to the workforce, I can think of no better time to recommit myself to this habit than on this Easter Sunday.

No comments: