Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Blog as self reflection

At the gym yesterday I struck up a random conversation with an older gentleman. He was wearing a pair of Yale shorts (this is the second time in the last 24 hours that I have blogged about that particular Ivy League institution) and I asked him about his time in New Haven. He asked me about my experience in Kenan-Flagler and I told him I wish MBA programs were longer so that students can have more time to absorb the material taught to us and to maximize the opportunities in the business school. He then mentioned that in many of such programs there is very little time and opportunity for reflection.

 

I think he hit on something that is very true not just of business students today but of many Americans in general. We are so busy we don’t have time to reflect on our lives, to think about whether we are going in the right direction, and to ponder about the impact we have on those around us. One benefit I have enjoyed from writing this blog is the chance to jot down my thoughts for later references.   

 

Since today is Valentine’s Day, maybe I will come back later and write something more. For about the past month, I have been toying with the idea in my head of a Valentine’s Day posting but I am not sure if I will get around to it, proving once again that my friend at the gym was right about too much work resulting in no time for reflection.

No comments: