Thursday, November 3, 2005

A few items of interest

The bidding for the auction ends this evening. As of an hour ago, there were no takers (other than my initial bid of $10) for my offer to drive someone to the airport for Thanksgiving break but we've received several bids for my services as a designated driver.

One item that I have been watching closely is the opportunity to have dinner at the Carolina Club with a beloved retired Kenan-Flagler professor. This professor spoke to us back in August during the Monday morning of our orientation and gave us a video "walking tour" of the Carolina campus. I contacted him over the weekend and he agreed to take three students out to dinner and even offered to pay out of his own pocket. His exact words were "I miss being around students." 

I submitted bids for several other items; two apple pies baked by a second year student, a lemon lime pie donated by a classmate and his wife, the opportunity to shoot (ammunition and guns provided) with a classmate who participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and a glass gin bottle retrieved from the bottom of a river in Nigeria that is more than a century old. The only auction that I am currently winning is fresh cookies baked and delivered by a classmate and his wife. I don't particularly care for the cookies and plan on saving this (if I win) for a special occasion next semester when someone does me a favor or I am in the mood to brighten a particular person's day.

Turns out the "have your house cleaned by a student dressed in a French maid outfit" was a joke. The student whose name was listed is a male who was volunteered by his friends. He stopped by the table this afternoon to withdraw the item but before doing so he submitted the final bid of $30 to outbid every other bidder. I am glad he was a good sport about it.

No comments: