Thursday, November 3, 2005

Food fight anyone?

Last week’s Apprentice had a competition where the teams competed to raise money for a charity by organizing a charity auction. Students in my class had the chance to do that this week as Kenan-Flagler participates in the annual MBA Food Fight.

 

The MBA Food Fight is an event organized by students at the Ross School of Business where schools compete to raise money to fight hunger. Within Kenan-Flagler, there is an internal competition where each of the eight sections is competing against one another. The fund raising effort at Kenan-Flagler revolves around a silent auction where the members of each section donate items to be auctioned off.

 

In the past, items donated range from tangible items such as artwork to services such as golf lessons or a date with a consenting (and hopefully attractive) student. I helped out by donating my services as a driver. One of my items was to drive the winner to the airport for Thanksgiving and the other was to drive the winner home from the bars on a night of his choosing.

 

The bidding began this week and by Tuesday night I was embarrassed that my items had not attracted any bids. I decided to help get the ball rolling by bidding on my own items. I had previously calculated that volunteering to make the drives was going to cost me a certain amount of time and I was willing to pay an amount up to my value of the time to get out of having to make the trips.

 

In addition to bidding on my own auctions, I also submitted bids on other items donated by others in my section with the intentions of driving up the prices. But for the few special items that I really do have an interest in, I am going to hold off and keep my powder dry until right before the auction ends to submit my bid so I can snatch them up at a good price.

 

PS: I feel legally obligated to tell you that in some states, it is illegal for a seller to participate in his own auction. But let's just say that because the money from this auction goes to charity, I don't expect the North Carolina Attorney General's office to be calling anytime soon.

No comments: