Tuesday, March 27, 2007

AOL déjà vu?

Back in November I had a second round interview in New York for a job in the credit card division of a major financial firm. I didn’t get the offer and in the almost four months since, I kept going back and forth between wishing I had gotten the offer so I wouldn’t have to worry about finding a job and feeling glad I didn’t get an offer because I would be a much rather work in the technology field.

 

Today I saw an article in the front page of the New York Times, below the fold, about some changes that are taking place in that financial firm. The recently announced plan calls for 26,000 out of 327,000 jobs to be either eliminated or reassigned.

 

 “(name of the company)’s consumer and credit card operations will bear the brunt of the job losses, but the cuts will also extend to its other main businesses, including its investment bank.”  (emphasis my own)

 

Now if I had gotten the offer, I probably would have accepted, and might be a bit concerned right about now. But then again when I worked at AOL there were layoffs almost annually and all my friends and relatives would be worried for me when the reality was the planned layoffs were nowhere near my organization and the media was only interested in reporting big numbers to sensationalize their stories.

No comments: