Tuesday, February 13, 2007

“I look forward to hearing from you soon”

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS OF MONDAY'S EPISODE OF 24. IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET, SKIP THE FIRST PARAGRAPH.

 

Before I tell you about my day yesterday, I just want to say that I am watching Monday’s two hour episode of 24 right now and it’s pretty clear where this show is headed. At sometime during this season, Jack will kill his father.

 

After the phone interview on Friday, I emailed the recruiter reporting to her that we had a good conversation and asked her to pass my gratitude to the interviewer (I did not get the his contact information). She wrote back today saying “I am glad the conversation went well, (name of the head recruiter) will be in touch shortly about the next steps.”

 

I am not sure what to make of it. It sounded pretty positive but I don’t want to get my hopes up too high. If you think about it, me receiving an email saying “thanks for getting your hopes up for nothing, best of luck finding a job anywhere but here” is also a next step. Isn’t it? 

 

In the meantime, I had an interview yesterday at Kenan-Flagler with the construction equipment rental company that came for a presentation two weeks ago. I must have spent at least six hours preparing for the phone interview on Friday, compared to only one for the one yesterday. Yet I didn’t do seven times better during Friday’s phone interview. This really goes to underscore the frustrating part about these interviews, that they are really hard to prepare for. At the interview suite yesterday, I was surprised that the interviewer kept asking how I arrived at the quantitative claims on myresume’s bullet points such as “realized savings of $X via new process.” Unfortunately I did not have my laptop with me in the interview room and therefore was unable to pull up the spreadsheet file where I listed my assumptions and made the calculations. But thanks to my impeccable memory, I was able to recall most of the details of how I arrived at those numbers even if I could not remember the exact numbers.

 

I am just glad that when I updated my resume this past summer, I resisted the urge to mention that me and Al Gore invented the internet together.

No comments: