Friday, February 2, 2007

“The phone rings in the middle of the night, my father yells “what you gonna do with your life?””

The MBA Student Association Eighties Party at Players last night was awesome. What I wore was not particularly elaborate, a suit jacket and underneath a white polo shirt and jeans. It may not have been vintage 80s but it was probably what I would have wore back then had I been born twenty years earlier. But some of my classmates were pretty elaborate and creative. A group went as the A-Team with Hannibal, Murdoch, Mr. T, and the A-Team van, and another classmate went as a giant rubik’s cube. My personal favorites were a first year with a picture of the greatest American president of my lifetime and another dressed in a yellow tie and pants held up by suspenders, whom I correctly guessed as Gordon Gekko.

 

But the real excitement of the evening was not the 80s music or the cuties on the dance floor, but all the television sets at the bar tuned to action unfolding at the John Paul Jones Arena where the UVA overcame a 13 point deficit to defeat Duke in an overtime nail-biter. When Sean Singletary scored in the last five seconds of the overtime period, ensuing a 68-66 win against one of the best basketball programs in the country, everyone in the bar area cheered. For a moment, we were all wahoos.

No comments: