Friday, October 7, 2005

Hitting the voter registration rolls

I received my voter registration card today in the mail. The very odd thing about where I live is that even though my mailing address is Chapel Hill, my apartment community is so close to Durham County that I drive by a sign saying "Welcome to Durham" on my way home from Kenan-Flagler. I have always wondered just whether I really live in Chapel Hill and if so, where exactly the county/city line is.

My voter registration card only compounded the mystery. It lists my Chapel Hill address and the Chapel Hill address of my polling place. Yet it lists my municipality as Durham (under "MUNI: DUR").  On top of that, the card was sent from the Durham County Board of Elections.

I am a strong believer that when someone moves into a new community, there should be at least a six month moratorium before he is allowed to vote in an election. When I vote this coming November, I am going to be standing there in the booth with no clue as to who the candidates are, or even what the issues are. I will probably do what I have done in the past in these situations, write in the names of my friends and professors.

No comments: