Saturday, October 29, 2005

Reporting from inside the "MBA Bubble"

One of the things that I am still getting used to is how when you're in an MBA program (or any other type of graduate school with an intense amount of work load), your work load is such that you stop paying attention to the news and other stuff happeninng around you.

This past Wednesday morning I was studying when I looked at the web at around 1am and saw that the White Sox had won the World Series. My initial reaction was that I was not even aware they (is that the appropriate pronoun when referring to a sports team or should the word be "it") was in the World Series. Then yesterday I was talking to some students and they were completely unaware of the indictments (or even of the surrounding controversy) handed out in Washington yesterday morning. Then this morning I watched the tape of this past week's Apprentice and was completely blown away by the ending in which all four contestants in the boardroom were fired (since no one from the boardroom got to go back to the suites, I wonder how the folks in the suites will find out who got fired in the beginning of next week's episode).

this is one of the unfortunate realities of being in graduate school.

No comments: