Thursday, June 23, 2005

Cementing my plans for rest of summer

The latest communication I received from Darden, which was received via the web site about a month ago, saids "we regret to inform you we are unable to give you further clarity until late June." It's now late June and I still have not received "further clarity" on this matter. Therefore I am going ahead and making plans for Chapel Hill, but at the same time, make them flexible enough that I can still go to Darden without being screwed out of a lot money.

I got an email Friday from Alta Springs (a rental community that's very popular with Kenan-Flagler students) about an availability, it's a one bedroom with den, 935 square feet, second floor with pool view, and close enough to receive WiFi signal from the business center. All for $905. Unfortunately I was in Miami and did not get the email until the next day when I was at Key West. By the time I called Saturday afternoon, the woman at the rental office (who really should have called my cell phone to let me know) had already given it away to someone else. But earlier this week, another availability opened up, same apartment except no pool view, not as close to the WiFi signal, third floor, and $10 cheaper. I agreed to it and my lease will begin around 8/1. There is a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. This means after 8/1, I have 30 days to break the lease and only pay the pro-rated portion of the month I have lived there.

In addition, I signed up this morning for the pre-MBA workshop. Most business schools have a one to two week pre-MBA workshop for students to brush up on math and business concepts prior to the beginning of the actual MBA program. Kenan-Flagler, however, has two workshops that are each one month long. I did not end my job until 6/15, therefore I was unable to make Analytical Skills Workshop I. But I will be able to attend Analytical Skills Workshop II which begins July 6. They have four classes, microeconomics, financial accounting, statistics, and a class in finance. I am only signing up for the finance class because it is the cheapest one (it's technically called a one half class because the classes are one half as long, and costs one half of what the others cost), and because finance is the area I need the most of brushing up on. I feel that the most important value of this class is not the skills I pick up, but being able to get a head start in meeting my classmates and getting to know the Chapel Hill area. I will most likely sublet or rent a room from someone during the time I am in Chapel Hill for ASW.

No comments: