Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I received an offer to come back to America Online

They want me to come back. And they want me to come back very badly.

I was home this evening when my landline rang. It was "Tiffany from America Online." She thanked me for having been an AOL member in the past and offered me 60 free hours if I were to agree to reactivating my membership. Curious, I inquired more. She said after the initial 60 free hours, I would default (can "default" ever be used as a verb?) to the $23.95 per month plan. (Does this mean if I only use 30 minutes each day, then I not not have to pay until 120 days later?)  I politely informed her that I already am an AOL member. At this point, she suggested that I go to Keyword Welcome Center and asked whether I am familiar with how AOL Keywords work. She ended the call by giving me an 800 number and asking me to "keep America Online in mind in the future."

Later on this evening I saw a missed call on my cell phone. The number is 800-290-7432. Curious, I called and received a message saying "Hello and thank you for calling America Online. We have a great offer for our former members. To hear more, please stay on the line and speak to one of our representatives." I hung up immediately.

No comments: