Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Going out of my my mind

Tomorrow is my last day in the office and already the reality of my imminent exit has begun to dawn on me. My cubicle is already half empty, and I have finished removing personal files from my computer. Tom, the boss who hired me four years ago, will not be in the office tomorrow so I made sure to say goodbye to him before I left work today. I have also begun the process of telling acquaintances in the office that I am leaving. When I was about to graduate from UVA seven years ago, I learned to divide people into three categories - friends that I knew I would keep up with, strangers I had nothing to do with, and those that did not belong into either category. These are the acquaintances that you would not go out of your way to socialize with, but if you were to run into them around grounds, at the library, or after class, you wouldn't mind a quick "stop and chat." These acquaintances are the ones I will miss the most.

As though there are not enough things on my mind of late, there may be news coming from Darden sometime this week. A fellow applicant reported on BW B-Schools that the Admissions Committee will meet tomorrow to discuss a timetable for moving students off the wait list. Another wait listed applicant was informed earlier today that his status was changed to "not offered." If this is true, this would be the second time in less than a month that the committee moves students from the wait list into the "rejected" pile. If I get "dinged" (B-School terminology for getting rejected) this week, it will allow me to commit myself fully to Kenan-Flagler. If I don't hear anything, it means I live to fight (and wait) another week.

I am really hoping to get a call from Dawna Clarke tomorrow, it would be the perfect ending to my four-year tenure at this company.

No comments: