Friday, June 10, 2005

Things will come and things will go

It do not wish to talk about religion or my religious beliefs on this blog. However, when there are things of a religious nature that relate to my life, my decisions or thoughts at the moment, I will include it here.  

I first read this article almost four years ago right after I started my current job. I was so moved by it that I printed it out and saved it in my office. I came across it while I was cleaning out my cubicle earlier today. I read it again and feel that the message, as it applies to me, is more important than ever.  

I was talking to a friend of mine over IM today and he said I have not spent a penny in seven years. It's an exaggeration but his point is well taken. In the years since I have started working, I cannot count the number of times I have felt inadequate about my salary, my investment performance, and my savings rate. I tracked every penny I spent and paid attention to the equities market much more than I should have. It wasn't until two summers ago when I bought my apartment that I began to worry less about money.  I now feel stupid thinking back to all those times when I forfeited the opportunity to call someone because I'd rather wait until after 9pm when the cost of a long distance call was cheaper. If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent less energy worrying about money and more time enjoying what's important in my life.

Same with spending time with family and friends, my social life shut down between August and December because I was so concerned with studying for the GMAT and preparing my applications. Was it worth it? I got a 7x0 on the GMAT and still did not get into Darden (I am saying this with the assumption I will not get off the wait list at Darden). I probably would have ended up with the same results (going to Kenan-Flagler with no merit-based scholarship) if I had spent more time with my friends and gotten 40 points lower.  

My point is that there will always be something you're concerned about or something happening in your life that may seem to be just so important at the time. I am not going to make the decision for you as to how you should go about dealing with it but keep in mind that .... things will come and things will go.

No comments: