Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Boarding the roller coaster

The past week has been pretty rough for me emotionally. After about two weeks of not having to go to the office, it began to finally sink in that I am going to business school. Although I know going to Kenan-Flagler is a good decision for me, as opposed to continuing to work at AOL and live in this area for one more year, I feel as though things will be rough at first.

This coming Wednesday I will drive to Chapel Hill for a one day welcome session. I will be subletting a house (unfurnished) during the month of July from a second year student. After the welcome session, I will return to my apartment on Thursday or Friday. Then, starting next Monday, I have my finance workshop every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I will stay there during the week and possibly return to my apartment on the weekends. Keep in mind that the house I am subletting has no furniture - other than my sleeping bag, a folding chair, a folding table, etc.

My long term apartment doesn't begin until August 1. Somewhere aorund the end of July or the beginning of August, the big move will happen. I am still deciding between whether to move myself (and rent a truck) or hire movers. The hader part is packing. As the big dig continues, I am beginning to realize just what deep trouble I am in. I have a ton of books. The ones I have read I will give away. But the bigger porblem is the ones that I have not read, and don't see myself having the time to read in the near future.

Emotionally, I feel overwhelmed everytime I think about what I have to do physically to get the move to happen, or about starting my workshop next week while living at the subletted house without any furniture. I compare this to a roller coaster because just as you know a roller coaster ride will eventually come to an end, I know the day will come when I will feel settled in and accepted at Kenan-Flagler. I just don't know how many months/weeks in the future that day will arrive.

No comments: