Friday, July 15, 2005

New hard drive, same memory error

I picked up my Thinkpad T43 this afternoon. Since the IBM engineer replaced the defective hard drive, I had to install some of my favorite programs (ie AOL Security Edition) back on. During the installation process, I rebooted, and got the same memory address error as Windows XP was shutting down process.

Fortunately this happened when I was still at McColl so I went back to the help desk. The man at the desk said when things like this happen, it's either the memory, the hard drive, or the board. He said it's possible that the new hard drive is also defective. He told me to keep the laptop over the weekend, bring it back in on Monday and they will ship it out to the local IBM service center.

From what I have heard around Kenan-Flagler, the memory address error is pretty common among the IBM Thinkpads. Someone who bought the Thinkpad R52 said he's seen the problem on average of once every 15 days. At the help desk on Wednesday, one of the guys who works there said he's seen the error before. You would think for $2097 I would get a computer that doesn't have these problems.

No comments: