Monday, July 18, 2005

Carrying the banner for Christ at Kenan-Flagler

When I used to work at the telecom firm, there was an employee Bible study every week on a particular day during lunch. The organizer would send out a weekly mass email reminding everyone of the time, location, and verses that were to be discussed. I used to joke around saying that the email list was an underground "yellow pages" of who's a Christian in the office

This illustrates a dilemma many Christians face, one that I was facing this past week. When we find ourselves in a secular environment such as the office or grad school and we want to meet other Christians, there is no reliable method for us to know who the believers are within the crowd. When I got back from Durham Bulls game on Thursday, I told a friend of mine on the phone that while I am certain I have met Christians at Kenan-Flagler, I have no way of knowing who they were. I even jokingly suggested that I was going to wear my "Ask me about Jesus!" T-shirt to class.

Yesterday morning was my first Sunday at Chapel Hill and I attended service at Chapel Hill Bible Church. After the service, a familiar face came up to me and said "I met you last week." It was the Kenan-Flagler student I talked to on Thursday at the Durham Bulls game. He said he's been dealing with the exact same dilemma I have, that he specifically prayed recently that he would meet others in our class who are believers. On Thursday, he told me he worked at a non-profit firm and yesterday he told me the name of the organization, it's a Christian group that works with college students. He said he has refrained from telling others at Kenan-Flagler exactly what type of work he did, except to say he worked at a non-profit, for fear that others would immediately label him a "Jesus freak" before getting to know him. (This is a good example of what I wrote earlier about noticing that when students talk about their work experience, they only tell you what they want you to know.)

I am finally excited about the Christian community at Kenan-Flagler. This morning I also met a member of the faculty who said this past year's MBA Christian Fellowship has been the strongest one in ten years.

No comments: