Friday, July 22, 2005

Trip to the cemetary


A week ago today I went for an early morning walk before class in the cemetary on the UNC campus. This cemetary contains the final resting places of the area's most prominent citizens going all the way back to the 18th century. I saw on some of the tombstones names that are prominent in this area such as Durham and McCauley. There was even a tombstone for one Henry Clay (born June 3, 1842) although I doubt it's the same Henry Clay we read about in American history.

The tombstone I was looking for was that of Charles Kuralt. I used to watch him on TV all the time. I remember reading that he died in 1997 and that he was buried in Chapel Hill. To the left of his tombstone (not pictured) is that of his wife, who died about four years after he did.

No comments: