Saturday, July 16, 2005

Standstill on I-85


I-85 is an interstate that begins south of Richmond and goes into Durham County before finding its way (many hours later) into Atlanta and Alabama. It is the highway I take everytime I drive into the Great Dominion. The great thing about I-85 is that the speed limit on most of the stretch that I take is 65 miles per hour, and most motorists regard 65 as the minimum speed limit.

Therefore, I was a bit surprised earlier this afternoon when I was returning to Chapel Hill after seeing some friends outside of Richmond when traffic came to a complete stop. It got to the point where I shut down my engine and other motorists were getting out of their vehicles. There were passengers walking into the bushes on the side of the highway to relief themselves and one girl in the Volvo in front of me walked her dog.

About 15 minutes later when the traffic began moving again, I saw that the culprit was a truck that rolled over on the right side of the highway. Not sure if the driver was going too fast when the highway bent left and lost control of the vehicle or if he did not turn quick enough and the truck went into the ditch. But I guess the moral of the story is ... the bigger they are ... (this is so trite I won't even finish it)

No comments: